Contact Us
Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport
Return to your home site


Westport Daily Voice serves Weston & Westport

Nearby Towns


'Tis the Winter of Joyce Charles' Discontent

Slushy driveways flanked by walls of snow are familiar sights in Easton these days. And Joyce Charles' house is no exception.

"There's an inch of ice on top of four inches of snow," Charles said as she sat with her lunch at the Village Store. "I have 10-foot high mountains of snow and they're all covered in ice."

The weather has been a consistent thorn in her side. Her house was struck by lightning last June, causing $60,000 in damage. December's snowstorm kept many people from attending her daughter's christening at Notre Dame of Easton. Now the rain and ice have her worried.

"I'm really terrified," she said. "Tonight I'm afraid because all the roads are flooded. By the end of the week we're supposed to have another storm. ... This has been a really hard winter."

The National Weather Service reported a 30 percent chance of freezing rain in Easton for Wednesday, and a 70 percent chance of snow on Friday.

All the ice and freezing temperatures have Charles questioning the science behind global warming. "It's making more snow than warming. So I tend to wonder."

Her hope is that the terrible winter will alleviate the bug problem that plagues Easton during the summer. "We have a horrendous amount of bugs and ticks," she said.

Do you have a storm story and some photos to share? Send them to David at .

to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.

Welcome to

Westport Daily Voice!

Serves Weston & Westport

Hi! You've read our articles so we know you like our reporting. To keep reading please join our mailing list.

Get important news about your town as it happens.