WESTPORT, Conn. — A group of young Westport artists painted the town orange — along with many other scary colors — as they competed in the
Halloween Window Painting Contest sponsored by the Westport Weston Chamber of Commerce.“It’s a great tradition, and we look forward to continuing it and expanding up on it. This is a fun event to bring the community together, culminating with the great Halloween parade down Main Street," said Matthew Mandell executive director of the chamber. "What better way to get people in the spooky mood, than to have our kids decorate our town."
The judges were Paul Lebowitz, a Chamber Board Member and Owner Westport Mortgage; Betsy Pollak, editor of Our Town Crier; and Leslie LaSala, director of marketing for the Westport Arts Center.
Winners received a certificate, a ribbon placed on the window (which they get later) and a $25 gift card to Saugatuck Sweets.
Here are the winners of Halloween Window Painting Contest.
- 1st Place – Scariest Elementary – Kaitlynn Comerford – Westport Yarns
- 1st Place – Scariest Middle – Sophie Alcyone – Rockwell Art
- 1st Place – Best Halloween Theme Elementary – Ella Schweizer – Westport Library
- 1st Place – Best Halloween Theme Middle – Jessica Schweizer – Westport Library
- 1st Place – Most Original Elementary – Alexandra Lieber – Soleil Toile
- 1st Place – Most Original Middle – Danielle King – Bella Bridesmaids (helper – Jordan Conlon)
- 1st Place – Most Original High School – Ben Roland – Halstead Property
"First it is fun for kids to get into the holiday mood and to be creative. Second to bring the community out to interact directly with the businesses in town. Third, it’s another form of promotion and community involvement for the our local businesses," he said.
“This is just another way to bring Commerce and Community together. It’s a great safe activity for the kids and they love it. The businesses enjoy the attention and some have even used the art on their windows in local promotions.”