WESTPORT, Conn. -- Westport veteran William F. Vornikahl III will be one of 10 men inducted into the Connecticut Veterans Class of 2013 Hall of Fame.
From 1952 to 1954, Vornikahl served in the 1st Cavalry Division, 13th Signal Corps, as a high-speed radio operator, serving for 14 months on the island of Hokkaido, Japan. He has been a member of Westport Veterans Council since 1961, serving as president since 2002.
He has also been Chairman of the Westport Memorial Day parade since 1970 and was member/treasurer of Westport’s War Monument Committee from 1996-99.
Robert J. Young of Danbury will also be inducted. Young enlisted in the Navy in 1968 and served in Vietnam as a corpsman. After his service, he became a physician's assistant and worked at the Federal Correctional Institute in Danbury.
Young also researched, documented and spearheaded the creation and dedication of the African American Civil War Memorial honoring the 29th (Colored) Regiment, Connecticut Volunteer Infantry located in Wooster Cemetery in Danbury.
Lt. Governor Nancy Wyman and state Veterans Affairs Commissioner Linda Schwartz will be joined by leaders of the state’s veterans’ community at the induction ceremony Friday, Nov. 1, to award a commemorative medallion recognizing the veterans.
The ceremony will take place in in the Atrium of the Legislative Office Building in Hartford.
The other inductees are:
- John H. Bannan, (Posthumously) Simsbury – U.S. Army
- George H. Breuler, Ashler Village – U.S. Army
- John (Jack) G. Casey, Groton – U.S. Navy
- Miguel A. Escalera Sr., Clinton – U.S. Army
- Charles P. Gallagher, East Haven – U.S. Army
- Robin L. Montgomery, Brookfield – U.S. Marine Corps
- James M. Mosley, Waterford – U.S. Navy
- Michael A. Thomas, New Haven/Milford – U.S. Navy - Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan
- 1 HGTV’s Talented Twin Property Brothers Work Their Magic In Fairfied County
- 2 Pedestrian Struck, Killed By Train At Fairfield Station
- 3 Westport Firefighters Help With Extraction In I-95 Car Rollovers
- 4 Snow Could Be Returning To Westport For Monday Morning Commute
- 5 Saugatuck Assistant Principal Gets Top Job At Long Lots School In Westport