WESTPORT, Conn. -- A no-cost, full service AARP/IRS Volunteer Tax Assistance program is coming to Westport.
The program, which includes special attention to seniors and low- to moderate-income households, will be available to the community this year, Westport Department of Human Services Director Barbara Butler announced. Tax preparation and electronic filing of state and federal taxes will be offered at Town Hall and at the Center for Senior Activities from Feb. 3 until April 14.
The appointment schedule is as follows:
- Mondays - 2:30 to 6:30 p.m. at Town Hall, call 203-341-5090.
- Wednesdays - 9 a.m. to 3:15 p.m. at the Center for Senior Activities, call 203-341-5099.
The program is "the nation’s largest, free, volunteer-run tax assistance and preparation service and is available to all individual filers regardless of income or age" and that "it started in 1968 and, since 1980, has operated under a cooperative agreement with the Internal Revenue Service," Butler said.
Taxpayers are asked to bring the following items to receive assistance:
- Proof of Identity (Official Photo ID);
- Copy of last year’s Federal and State tax return(s), if possible;
- Social Security or ITIN numbers for all taxpayers and dependents;
- Bank account/routing numbers (blank check), if expecting a refund.
- All 2013 income report forms received, such as:
- SSA-1099 if you were paid Social Security benefits;
- W-2s from your employer(s);
- W-2G from gambling winnings;
- 1099G from unemployment compensation payments;
- 1099s from banks, stocks, retirement distributions, brokers;
- Documents relating to deductibles (e.g., real estate and vehicle taxes);
- Documentation showing original purchase price of sold assets;
- Proof of charitable contributions (receipts, canceled checks).
“IRS-certified volunteers are available to local residents of all ages and incomes at no charge; and that Westport Department of Human Services is pleased to partner with AARP to offer this valuable service to the community," Butler said.
More information may be obtained by calling the Westport Department of Human Services at 203-341-1050.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.