WESTPORT, Conn. -- Passover can get boring with wondering what to put on matzo. Norwalk resident Neil Rohricht, executive chef and director of operations of The Granola Bar , with locations in Westport and Greenwich, offers the following solution.
Avocado Matzo Crackers with Smoked Salmon and Creme Fraiche
- 1 box Matzo crackers
- 4 oz prepared smoked salmon (broken in to chunks)
- 1 Cucumber (peeled and slice into thin rounds)
- 2 ripe avocado
- 2 T Extra Virgin olive oil
- 1 T Apple Cider Vinegar
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper
- 1 4oz container Creme Fraiche
- 1/4 c finely chopped chive
- zest of 1 lemon
- Prepare the Avocado Mash. Add avocado, oil, vinegar, lemon juice (reserve lemon zest) in a medium bowl and mash with fork leaving some larger chunks. Season with salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste.
- Break Matzo Crackers into pieces. Don't worry if they are "rustic’" looking but try to keep them similar in size (around 1-2 bites per piece).
- Drop a dollop of avocado mash on to each cracker and flatten with the back of your spoon. Layer 1-2 slices cucumber followed by around 1/4 oz of the smoked salmon (more or less depending on your taste). Add a small dollop of creme fraiche on top of the salmon (you can make an impromptu piping bag by cutting a corner off of a ziplock bag or just spoon it on). Garnish with chive and lemon zest.
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.