WESTPORT, Conn. -- Looking for a vacation without having to deal with I-95 traffic or ever-widening TSA restrictions? Consider a staycation close to home.
What follows are some of the area's summer highlights. Feel free to add more in our Comments or on our Facebook page.
- Enjoy a Foodiefest: The Chosen Cholent, specializing in-pulled smoked brisket, smoked fried chicken, smoked short ribs, and of course, cholent (a traditional Shabbat stew) is among the food trucks -- and food options -- at the first-ever Southern Connecticut Jewish Food Festival being held Sunday, June 11 from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Westport’s Temple Israel. Details HERE .
- Shop till You Drop: Who needs to jet set to another spot when the annual Westport Sidewalk Sale sports all the latest fashions? You'll find great deals throughout Main Street, Post Road and areas surrounding downtown thanks to the Westport Downtown Merchants Association. The event is July 7 to 9. Details HERE .
- Paint the Town Blue: Westport's Blues, Views and BBQ Festival celebrates its 10th Year Labor Day weekend at The Levitt Pavilion for the Performing Arts and Westport Library. This year's event will feature two stages of live music featuring 20 bands including headlining performances from funk powerhouse's Galactic and Deep Banana Blackout. Also on the docket: first-time performers Bonerama, Paul Barrere & Fred Tackett performing the music of Little Feat, the New Orleans Suspects, Taz and Friends and the return of Anders Osborne. And we haven't even talked (yet) about the food: An annual KCBS BBQ Competition and a new Bacon Hoe Down plus, as the name implies, lots of barbecue. Tickets are on sale now; details HERE .
- See a Broadway-Caliber Show: Let Times Square have the crowds. At Westport Country Playhouse there's always something going on of equal caliber. From now through June 17, you can enjoy “Lettice and Lovage,” a fun comedy by the author of "Amadeus." Join Miss Lettice Douffet and Miss Lotte Schoen for a series of hilarious capers as they discover a devilish friendship in their fight against mediocrity. As Lettice says, “Enlarge! Enliven! Enlighten!” Details HERE .
- Escape for a Night (or Two!): Delamar Southport beckons with its New England charm and gourmet restaurant, Artisan, complete with always hopping outdoor patio. Dine alfresco, pamper yourself at the spa, or simply take a nap and enjoy the solitude. Details HERE .
- Explore with the Bike Lady: See Westport from two handlebars -- and explore areas you most likely haven't seen before. The Bike Lady, aka Tracy Yost, does tours for those 13 and up via her company, Westport Bike Rentals. She even delivers the bikes (and the helmets) to you. Details HERE .
Click here to sign up for Daily Voice's free daily emails and news alerts.