WESTPORT, Conn. -- Have a great idea to help beautify Saugatuck? Westport officials want to know what you think and are inviting residents to participate in a survey regarding the town's Master Plan.
The nine-month project will involve a team of planners, engineers, economic planners and historic preservation experts to establish design standards.
The initial project goals are:
- Improve the entrance experience when arriving in Westport
- Maintain the authenticity and identity of Saugatuck
- Respect the character of this community
- Preserve it, build upon it and enhance it
- Create an even stronger sense of place designed for extraordinary livability
- Improve the connectivity and walkability between the station, village and waterfront
- Enhance the existing infrastructure – streets, sidewalks, parking, plazas, parks, lighting, landscaping
- Improve the privately and publicly-owned civic spaces
- Attract and engage all generations – young and old
- Establish design guidelines, standards and a master plan to reinforce these goals
Results of the survey are expected to be made public in the fall.